<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, June 13, 2003

I just got inspired and my spirits somewhat lifted. An exceptional thing on a day when the drizzling weather outside so clearly reflects the gloom and doom inside me (when I think of current politics.) Its a long read but really educational and well worth it I think-what's wrong with a little history now and then? Nothin when it shows you were you are headed.

Excerpt from: Bill Moyers' speech at the Take Back America Conference - Wednesday 04 June 2003

What I do know is this: While the social dislocations and meanness that galvanized progressives in the 19th century are resurgent so is the vision of justice, fairness, and equality. That's a powerful combination if only there are people around to fight for it. The battle to renew democracy has enormous resources to call upon - and great precedents for inspiration. Consider the experience of James Bryce, who published "The Great Commonwealth" back in 1895 at the height of the First Gilded Age. Americans, Bryce said, "were hopeful and philanthropic." He saw first-hand the ills of that "dark and unlovely age," but he went on to say: " A hundred times I have been disheartened by the facts I was stating: a hundred times has the recollection of the abounding strength and vitality of the nation chased away those tremors."

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
(0) comments
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?