<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 23, 2003

Yesterday it was not horrendously cold or excessively wet so I walked from Park Ave and 51st street to Houston at Bowery. I saw a person I know walking her dog, I circled Grammercy Park. I passed through min-Pakistan, India and a few college towns. I saw how both halves live. I figured out that if I was forced to move in to Manhattan somewhere between the 40's and 30s I'd choose the East over West side any day. It all started because I had about an hour to kill before meeting someone downtown. Usually that would be a great opportunity to check out all my favorite "so cheap its free" type haunts and end up with three new baby tees. This time I was feeling adventurous while at the same time in a slightly introspective funk. The misty cool super walk really did me some good. I also went to a really cool bar restaurant and felt compelled to split not one but TWO dirty vodka martinis with mah honey on our collective empty stomachs which we then quickly remedied with an appRetizer of fried artichoke hearts (I'll eat almost anything that's been fried but this was especially yummy) and delicioso steak frite (medium rare!) and that was just phase one of the evening-so lovely-I saw newlyweds and engaged preggers and old friends and new friends-all quite unexpectedly, tasted bacon and carrot soup (super yum) and did not act too tipsy. Followed that up by seeing mah honey bang a drum (or two) at ye olde living room-AW now I'm having New York nostalgia-Texas wasn't enough?
The good old days, Pamela Miller packing the Living Room-people were jammed in the doorway and I had a mischievous moment with a noisy non-listening front row disturber. Speaking of Texas nostalgia, I've ambled further down memory lane by stealing the excellent speakers from the computer of my former colleague and good buddy-hooking said speakers up to my pekewter and streaming audio from KGSR (k-geezer-thanks to JHP I now ALWAYS think that) and KUT. Lyle Lovett covering a Steven Fromholz song that is one of my earliest live music memories, Joe Jackson (the song he did not do on the recent tour), a "rock block" of the new Chris Whitley stuff. Tonight Whitley's playing at the bar were I used to work - have some Rumplemins for me Chris!
Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
(0) comments
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?